Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kyle’s boxing picks 9/22/2018

Heavyweight Title Fight
Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin
Wembley Stadium Saturday September 22
Fight will be first to be shown on the new DAZN streaming app.

-This, to me, is an extremely interesting fight. Both are Olympic Gold Medallists who have won a piece of the heavyweight title at one point. Povetkin lost that piece several years back in his one career loss by points to Wladimir Klitschko. Since that loss he has won 8 straight, 6 by knockout against pretty solid competition. He is on the shorter side for a heavyweight, about 6-1 but can punch with both hands and is very well schooled. Povetkin has actually fought and beat a higher calibre of opponent than Joshua has in his short career. And I would say very confidently that other than the Klitschko fight this is Joshua’s biggest challenge so far. Povetkin is a better fighter than Joseph Parker and Dillian Whyte in my opinion although it is close. Povetkin is 39 years old but has not seemed to slow down much. Joshua’s advantages are age, size and the home field advantage. 

Prediction
-This is a tough one for me to call. If you are betting I would go with Povetkin. He is a fairly big underdog which to me is very strange. In my eyes Joshua should be a very slight favorite. I think there is a very good chance that both guys get hurt in this fight and I expect it to be very competitive. I can definitely see there being an upset and with so many big fights on the horizon for Joshua I was a little surprised when he signed on for this fight. Having to choose though I will go with Joshua only because I feel it is his time and he will find a way. I don’t expect it to be easy though. 
Joshua TKO 9


-Canelo Alvarez vs GGG.
The replay should be on HBO Saturday night and if you did not see it definitely tune in, it was a very good action packed competitive fight. I personally had Canelo winning by a point. I thought the judges did a great job, all three were very close and I agreed. A robbery it definitely was not and saying that takes away from a great night of boxing. Honestly the only boxing person that I saw that had a big problem with the decision was Teddy Atlas and that is not surprising to me. He talked himself out of a commentating job with ESPN and to me that is good. He can’t have a conversation without starting an argument and he sees conspiracies in his sleep. It is always his way or the highway and he thinks he is the absolute authority on the sport. It has gotten old to me and many others. Don’t take away from this fight with wild conspiracies and dramatics. It was a great fight with great action and the officials did a great job. If you thought GGG won by a round I can not argue but there were many close rounds and there should be no controversy over the decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kyle and Alex boxing picks for 2/22/2020

Wilder-Fury 2 One of the more anticipated heavyweight championship fights of the past twenty years is finally here. After thinking we ...